Saturday, September 8, 2012

And today, I run.

Training for a half marathon has been my therapy.  It has been a lesson in self-care and self-awareness. I've talked about doing this for years (I want to run a half marathon before 30) but always found an excuse.  Well, when I ran with my aunt Martha one fateful Sunday in June, I ran right out of excuses, too.  I found a 10-week training program and discovered I was in better shape than they claimed you had to be.  So, I started.  Along the way, I've discovered that what you eat does actually impact your body.  A lot.  I've discovered that, just when you think you are going to have to give up, there's always someone there to encourage you along.  I've discovered that early morning runs, even on the weekends, really are a blessing once you convince yourself out of bed.

So, today, I run in memory of my Grammy, who I remember greatly disliking exercise, but who I also remember walking around her house the summer she passed away, keeping her active and comfortable till the end.  I run in memory of my Nan and Pop; Nan, who always managed to convince a sometimes begrudging Pop to be active, even in ridiculously cold weather (and all those fun runs around in circles in the pool - you always hoped Pop would help get the whirlpool REALLY going).  I run in memory of Grandma, who always thought I was crazy for running but who also, in a roundabout way, is the reason I started running as much as I did.  I run in thanksgiving of the support from all my family and friends.  Today, I run for me, too.  13.1 miles is a long way and a physical feat.  I am grateful my body has agreed to take me on this journey.

Oh, and no worries, hubby is at home with a honey-do list he wrote for himself :)  I'm sure there will be fun picture updates when I return!!!!

See you at the finish line!

No comments: