Sunday, October 7, 2012

Bring on the fall weather... and a fabric cutting fail.

Yesterday, I decided it was time to say goodbye to the snap dragons (which were starting to look sad) and hello to mums and pansies!



Then, it was time to get around to making those valences for our bedroom that I have been putting off.  Problem #1: I couldn't remember the measurements.  So, I measured out the lining and came up with 6 yards.  Clearly, since I have 3 windows in the bedroom, this meant I had intended to make the curtains about a yard long with double width fabric!  Aha!  So, I got to cutting.  


Which bring us to Problem #2: the patterns didn't match up.  I should have been able to split the fabric down the middle and match it up on either side.  Except the pattern repeated every 18 inches and I cut it every 39 inches, not thinking about the pattern repeat.  *sigh*  Winston was unimpressed but did feel the need to make sure all that fabric I had just ironed got good and wrinkled again so I'd have time to think about what I had done.


Well, we went to dinner, and hubby asked me what I was going to do for the rest of the night.  When I said anything but work on those blasted valences and explained the problem, he said "measure twice cut once!" I cut it correctly, I explained, but just did it based on the 3 windows instead of the pattern.  He looked at me.  "You mean 4 windows."  Which leads us to Problem #4: We had bought enough fabric originally to cover 4 windows - 3 in the bedroom and 1 in the bathroom.  ARGH!!!  Even Winston was giving me a disapproving stare.  



No comments: