Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Bye Bye 20s


Wow, another decade down.  I remember my Grampa telling me time just sped up as you got older.  I didn't believe him.  

I do now.  

Looking back at my 20s... a lot has happened in 10 years.  I've graduated.  Twice.  I have worked at 3 jobs.  I have taught over a dozen children and adults piano.  

I have met wonderful, wonderful friends.  I have said goodbye for this lifetime to beloved friends and family members.  I have fallen more in love with, then waited (and waited) to marry my best friend.  Then I married him.  I think we both knew it would happen after our first kiss twelve and a half years ago, if high school kids can know that sort of thing.  And it did.  Eventually.  

I got and fell in love with my very first furry baby.  I've taken said furry baby to the emergency vet at 2am. And my dad spent the night after said visit, watching him so I could go to my internship the next day.  Winston has been a companion for me and for so many family members and has taught us all a lot along the way (including patience!).  

I've been a bridesmaid four times.  I've sung in multiple weddings, one via a CD, and several funerals, too.  I've welcomed my friends' and family's precious children into this world and become a God-mother twice.  I've gotten to play "engagement assistant," including helping in the selection of engagement rings, and wedding planner. 

I've been to the beach lots, with one special night there - I'll never forget the moon as my husband knelt in the sand and then asked if I was ever going to say yes.  I've been to California, Florida, Washington, DC., Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, South Carolina, Georgia, Virginia, and Austria.   

I've been the sickest I've ever been, allowing my parents to literally carry me from bathroom to bedroom and into the hospital... and I spent 2 nights in the hospital under my future husband's diligent watch so my poor exhausted parents could rest.   Now, I'm the healthiest I've ever been, having completed my first half marathon and training for a second.  

I've bought and renovated 2 houses.  I have driven/owned 6 cars.  I have made duvets and window treatments and pulled up floors and hung cabinets with a nail rifle.  I have learned how to shoot a real gun.  I have learned how to do "science".  I have sat with dying patients and dying family members.  

Yes, I have fit a lot into this decade, and thinking back over it, I am overcome with awe for life and the privileges I have been granted.  I hope that I am doing enough for this world to show my thanks for the gifts bestowed on me.  Yes, I will proudly claim my 30 years and grin like a fool when people tell me I look so young.  I will readily agree that there is much more to come in the decades ahead and that life will probably speed up as I move forward, but I will do my best to stay in the moment, enjoy what is given to me, and give thanks for this beautiful life.  

30s, here I come.



No comments: