Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sew in love...

I thought it might be fun to share the tale of my very first full (well, technically queen-sized) quilt project.  This is a quilt for my brother and his new wife, to keep their love warm through good times and bad, sickness and health, richness and poverty... aka a wedding quilt!  So, I'm posting as I make it, and the story will hit the blogosphere post-wedding, in case they want to laugh at all my quilt making antics from the comfort of their new quilt!

While I would love to do the traditional wedding rings quilt, I thought I should probably start with something a little simpler.  I did some searching and found a pattern for a hugs and kisses quilt - appropriate for a wedding, don't you think?

Off I went with the pattern in hand to the Hobby Lobby.  It requires a LOT of different fabrics... which I bought, washed, and kept in a container for use...  The beginning steps:


Step 1: Look at pattern and FREAK.  Dude, WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?  Do you see how many squares I can potentially screw UP?


Step 2: Call mother-in-law, ask for advice, and invite her over to calm me down and give me instructions.  OK, so she says to write out which fabric goes where and do one set of hug/kiss squares at a time.  This is sounding more doable!  


Step 3: Homework done, I pick the first 3 fabrics used in the first set of blocks.  Set them out, very important... and now I need to run and pick up some fabric pens.  Since I have to cut strips and they need to stay even, I'm going to map out all my cuts on the back of the fabric before I screw something up.  I've been told - measure thrice, forget twice, and cut once!

No comments: