Thursday, June 27, 2013

It's a bittersweet symphony, this life

Lawndale hasn't smelled like "our" house in over a year and a half.  But walking out of the empty rooms for the last time was still difficult.  And then, holding my breath until I heard the new owners had signed on the dotted line was still more challenging.

Yet, saying goodbye is so bittersweet.  Lawndale was a home of many firsts.  It was my first home.  My first project I owned.  I - we - learned a LOT in that house.  I proved to myself that I could be my own woman, that I was officially a "grown up," and that life continues on despite any challenges laid ahead. I also learned more practical things, like one most seal stone tile BEFORE grouting it, pretty bathroom vanities with the bowl as a sink aren't meant to be used as your main vanity, old houses have strange quirks like light switches for the A/C.

We got to host dinner parties...


We got engaged, and we did lots of wedding planning (like showing off bridesmaid dressing choices)...


We left our wedding reception as husband and wife and went "home"... (sorry, couldn't get the image flipped for some reason)

It was a warm home...


That invited you in after a long day's work...


Sent out lots of full tummies...


And hosted lots of celebrations...


And fostered lots of creativity...


We celebrated holidays, our first Christmas together, new jobs, graduations, a new girlfriend (who later became my sister-in-law!), a cake lit on fire by the number of candles, quiet birthdays, our wedding, friends' weddings, friends' puppies then babies...  I taught piano, hubby worked...

And most importantly, it provided a warm safe-haven in which we grew.  We learned how to work together, how to be husband and wife, how to be caregivers.  We learned how to make joint decisions.  And, before we left Lawndale, we learned how to live with my parents in a limited space, with lots of laughs.  

Even though we said goodbye a year a half ago, saying goodbye today was a little tough.  No more quirks, no longer able to pop in and say "hi" to Mr. Conrad (the previous and deceased owner), who I (and Winston) swore still stopped by for an afternoon pipe occasionally.  Thank you Lawndale for giving us a solid foundation from which to launch into adulthood, for allowing me to make a house my, and then our, home.



No comments: