Sunday, October 27, 2013

The dining room complete!

We have another room that I would call complete!  The dining room has now been fully re-floored, re-lighted, re-painted, and, now, re-draped!

So, we started out with this:


And when we first moved in, we'd done the floors, and mom had painted the upper half of the walls, and dad had helped us change out the can light for a chandelier...





We bought a new table and nice chairs, and during an Ikea trip, we found these inexpensive "drapes" to absorb some of the sound and give it a grander look...




But we knew that was a temporary fix, and this summer, we were over the slightly sheer purple wonders.  We took them down, and the room felt so open.  Unfortunately, everything echoed in a major way.  So, we set out to find new drapery fabric.  I went to 1502 with my mother-in-law and found fabric we loved.  Unfortunately, it was $38/yard.  We have 9 foot ceilings.  That translates into a minimum of 18 yards of fabric.  You do the math.  I'll give you a hint.  It equals : no thanks, not right now.  Then, on our anniversary trip, we found a wonderful compromise fabric.  It had the strong lines I'd hoped for and the metallics hubby was set on.  As I showed you before, I did these suckers the right way.  And, I have to say, I think it has paid off.  Big time.  New paint on the top and bottom, new floors, new light, new "adult" furniture, and new drapes!



*Rubs nails on shirt*  Yup, pretty proud of this girl who set out to make the drapes her mom was going to pay someone to make for her and who did a pretty darned good job for not really knowing what the heck she was doing =)

No comments: