Saturday, March 8, 2014

More consignment finds

So, we've been searching out 2 more chairs for our dining room for a while.  We wanted something a little different than the 6 chairs we already have, so we've been looking at "captain's chairs" or "arm chairs".  The problem?  Those puppies are pricey.  Holy.  Smokes.  Also, we haven't been able to find ones with fabric that just make us want to drop that much cash in one place.  Hubby was working on his mom's new house one weekend and stopped into the consignment shop in Clemmons.  I got texted a picture of these guys:


To be honest, they look WAY better in the picture than in real life.  But, they had great "bones" and had been marked down, so Mom and I headed his way (Mom provided the transport of these guys - they're pretty big).  The plan?  Chalk paint them and then recover them.  First up, we picked a bunch of fabrics to test.  


I loved the zebra, but the tweed went perfectly with the room and was really custom-looking.  One day while at work, I got a picture from hubby of the chair sans fabric.  And then painted white (picture not shown... I couldn't find it).  After a coat of clear wax, I waxed it with the dark wax to highlight all of the wonderful detail on the chair.  


Here's a closeup so you can see what attracted us to these chairs...


I set out to find an upholstery guy.  One guy who was recommended by the fabric store recommended a friend.  His friend was incredibly reasonable, so I figured why not?  Well, I will tell you why not.  He smokes.  A lot.  He was very nice, and the chairs turned out well, but they are going to have to wait for a final picture because they are currently airing out on our back porch.  Holy smokey, batman, I was overwhelmed by the smoke through my incredibly congested nasal passages.  Lesson learned.  I will now inquire about smoking habits before ever getting anything recovered again!


No comments: