Thursday, March 20, 2014

Winston forever

An edit for my poor Mom, who thought something had happened to Winston. He's fine and celebrated his 9th birthday yesterday :)

Well, I got hit for the second time this month with an illness.  But this time, I'm not complaining too much.  Because this time, I was fortunate enough to be home when hubby's surprise arrived in the mail.  You see, one day, he told me he would like to find an artist to do a portrait of Winston.  Well, I knew exactly who was our man - Kevin LePrince.  The guy is amazing, and one of these days, I will have some of his birds in our house.  They make me smile to no end.  However, in the meantime, I knew he'd also do a great job of Winston.  I was really worried about the price.  I emailed him, and he was incredibly fast getting back to me.  It was a doable price, and so the plan was launched.

My original plan was to covertly send him pictures, hand cash to my boss (who drives to Charleston to see his wife on a regular basis), and get him to pick up the painting from Kevin.  Oh yeah, Kevin lives in Charleston.  We first saw his work at a Spoleto festival in Charleston.  Ok, but here's the problem: this was an Investment.  I wanted Trav to have some input.  So, I told him I may be getting Winston's portrait done but wouldn't say by who.  He helped me pick a couple of pictures, and off they went.

Fast forward a couple of weeks, and nothing from Kevin.  Turns out, he had missed the email with Winston's pictures!  So, after choosing the picture he liked the best and getting the go-ahead from me, he promised it in a week's time.  Last weekend, I was baking in our kitchen, feeling like I could be in heaven with the light pouring in, the breeze coming through the screen door, and an email popped up on my phone.  It was simply an attachment of the finished product.  My heart was so darned happy.  Then it dropped like a rock when I thought I didn't tell him to avoid posting it to Facebook.  Whoops.  There it was.  Guess who is a fan of his page?  Yup.  So I had to call him and tell him.  He was so happy, he apparently missed his turn.  Then, we played the waiting game.

Well, fast forward to today.  He ran out to meet the mailman when he saw there was a box.  He came into the kitchen (where I've been working today) and opened the box immediately.  For those of you who know Trav, you will be amazed when I tell you he even took the styrofoam out of the box himself.  He was that excited.  Well, that painting came out of the box and he literally jumped/danced around the kitchen, smiling like he did on our wedding day.  I'm not sure I will ever be able to outdo myself here.  After some thinking, we decided we definitely wanted it in the kitchen, where we could enjoy it a lot.  So, without further ado...


And since it is so beautifully sunny out there that the painting is a bit dark with the backlighting...


This does not really do it justice, though.  It's even better in person.  Oh, and the picture that Kevin liked and painted from?  Well, hubby brought me his iPad.  This was his background.


Apparently, we picked a picture Trav is especially fond of!  So, there you have it - how I am celebrating 14 years of calling hubby my "significant other." Winston, forever.

No comments: